Startup Questions & Answers
If you’ve never run your own startup before, you might not know what kind of experience or skills you’ll need to make it happen. I’ve taken the liberty of putting together a list of questions that a founder might have during different steps of the process, and I’ve answered them to the best of my knowledge as a CTO and a co-founder. This is meant to be a general guide for anyone who’s starting out as a creator or a startup founder.
The goal of this “Questionnaire” is to eventually build it into a Q&A community where we all try and help each other with non-trivial answers to simple questions. I’m hoping you can share your experience with me and help me answer these in more detail.
Those questions that are marked as ✅ are already sufficiently covered. Those marked with 🚧 still require more work / information.
Building a Startup
- 🚧 How to build your SaaS with freelancers? — So what if you’re non-technical? There’s a lot of possibilities to build something for yourself that your users will love. You will have to spend some money though.
- 🚧 How to promote your SaaS without being an ass? — If you’re being too pushy with your sales, people will get annoyed quite fast. Here we discuss a few methods of promotion without putting anyone off.
- 🚧 Where do I find technical co-founder for my startup? — Being a solo indie Entrepreneur is fun, but having someone together in the business makes things easier. Especially when that person can take off the whole product building responsibilities off your shoulders.
- 🚧 Build vs Buy: age old dilemma —You’ll probably have some thoughts if you should invest in building or buying or nocode solutions. This article will help sort it out.
- 🚧 How much equity should a CTO ask for? — One of the most frequent questions by visitors of the site.
- 🚧 How to split equity fairly between founders? — It’s important to keep it fair to yourself and to the other co-founders when splitting shares of the company. I answer a question here about a situation that a fellow entrepreneur has.
- 🚧 How to hire first rockstar employee — Your first hire is a make it or break it decision for your business. Here I talk a bit how to find the right person for the job.
- 🚧 What to ask a startup before joining them? — A guide for employees number 1-20 on figuring out if a startup is healthy or not before joining.
- 🚧 As a recent college graduate, should I work in a tech startup? — What should you do after college? Should you join a startup or a FAANG company.
- 🚧 How to protect my startup from bots or hacks? — The age-old question of how to protect your SaaS and your company from hackers and spammers.
- 🚧 Doing Self-Promotion on Reddit the right way — Community websites are an unlimited source of potential users that are just waiting to hear about your startup. Tap into it.
If you have a question that you want me to help you with (and maybe share this info with the rest of my friendly readers), write it in the comments below.